CoHousing Coming to Germantown
Revealed by the Germantown Guru on 04/02/12
Germantown will soon have the first official coHousing development in Nashville. CoHousing is a new style of living, at least in Nashville, that is a bit different than your typical neighborhood or condo.
How is cohousing different?
According to the official Nashville Cohousing website, this is what makes cohousing different:
1. Participatory Process. The future residents of a CoHousing neighborhood design the neighborhood. They might work with a developer, but the vision is developed together.
2. Neighborhood Design. The neighborhood practically forces community on you. You cannot get from your car to your house without running into one of your neighbors. Houses face one another and feature front porches and windows so that you can monitor the neighborhood as you prepare your dinner.
3. Common Facilities. Sure, condo complexes and some neighborhoods might have some common space, but in CoHousing, it is used by the whole neighborhood all the time.
4. Resident Management. The residents decide what their homes look like, what amenities are included or added, and also share in the general upkeep of the buildings and grounds.
5. Non-Hierarchical Structure. There is no “Board of Directors” or staff that decides what is going on. Everyone has input and everyone has to help out.
6. No Shared Community Economy. No one earns a living from the neighborhood. Although some neighborhoods might feature amenities such as a child-care center, or a coffee shop, these are self sustaining ventures.